Thursday, June 14, 2012

Its so hard to believe we're down to our final few days in the palazzo! Sansepolcro has come to feel like home and I'm so not ready to leave. Since we've been back from our trip to Rome we've tried to pack as much as we could in to our final days. Monday we spent the day cleaning and preparing for the arrival of the famous Dr. Webb and John Rose, whom we adore. John Rose and his English accent has brought so much laughter to the palazzo over the past few days. We've had the best time getting to know them and learning all Dr. Webb has to teach us about Sansepolcro and their past experiences. Tuesday we got a special tour from Sara's father, an active member of the Sansepolcro community, through the two local churches. The first was just off the main square and it's the only church in town dedicated to Santa Maria (Mary). It survived an earthquake years ago and according to a great legend the quake caused Mary's hands to open which is why none of the statues or paintings show her praying, but instead they portray her with her hands open. After touring the churches, a delicious lunch, and an afternoon full of class, we finished the day by introducing some of the girls to the movie The Sound of Music. I still can't believe that was the first time some of them had ever seen it. SarahBeth and I could probably act out the entire movie by ourselves. It's one of my all time favorites for sure. Janna and I even learned the ballroom dace so that we could dance along as the Captain and Maria twirled around on the dance floor. The real reason we watched the movie though, was to prepare for our journey to Switzerland next week where we will actually hike through the hills where the final scene was filmed and sing along to "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music". I cannot wait!!!
Wednesday we went on our final group excursion to Assisi! It was a beautiful day filled with tons of sight seeing. We went in three or four different churches, but the highlight was our grand finale in  San Francesco. It was an immaculate sight with frescos covering the ceilings and walls, ancient mahogany seating and gold trim everywhere. We were also able to venture down stairs to see where St. Francis of Assisi was buried. We couldn't stick around for long, however, because they were about to begin a service in the private little chapel located on the base floor near the relics of St. Francis. After spending an hour or so admiring the church we hurried back up the hill to local cafe for lunch. The food was delicious, as always, but the girls who ordered pizza swear it was the best yet! Once our tummies were full the shopping began and continued until we had to meet back at the bus to return to Sansepolcro. Back at the palazzo we resumed our movie watching, only this time re-watching Letters to Juilet in preparation for Verona next week! We're hoping to be able to visit the wall and leave letters to Juilet just like Clair from the movie.
Today marked our last normal schedule day of classes. We went to breakfast for our Italian class with our professor who treated us all to pastries and drinks as a reward for speaking Italian in public. We all sat out at the local cafe and talked about what we've experienced since coming to Italy, our favorite memories, and lessons learned. I learned a new one today: never order hot chocolate in Italy. It's basically like drinking chocolate pudding. Yuck! It was a nice break from class though, and we really enjoyed being out and about with "the Italian Carrie Bradshaw" as we like to call her.
Tonight we're going to the main square to watch a musical performance that the local elementary school is putting on for the 1,000 year celebration. Hopefully we'll get to see my favorite little friends, Sara's kids, as they sing for us!
Tomorrow, the alumni arrive and it's our final Italian class. We're having lunch with Dr. Allen and the other alums, giving them the grand tour of the palazzo and then venturing back to the museum to listen to the Bankers tell us about the intriguing frescos we visited during our first week here. I'm so excited for the group to share all the wonderful stories and memories we've made with the alums. I think they'r really going to love our group of girls.
Saturday we bid goodbye to our host families at our final dinner in Sansepolcro. I can't believe it's time for this already. I'm already trying to prepare myself for the tears that are going to come as we say goodbye to this incredible place. Words can't even begin to describe how amazing this adventure has been and I truly can't believe it's over. I think if I could bring my family and friends here I just might stay forever.
Monday morning we'll be heading to Venice and Verona for a few days before leaving Italy and heading north to Switzerland. That will be the end of our internet access until arriving back in the states so this will be my last blog post for a while. Thank you everyone who's followed along on my adventures. I truly appreciate all your prayers, kind words and support! This has been the most amazing summer of my life!

inside one of the Assisi churches

one of my favorite parts, there's an amazing view everywhere you turn

San Francesco

looking down the hill at Assisi

Sara and her dad telling us about the churches

group shot :)

4 comments:

  1. Sara,
    I feel as though I am traveling with you and I know you will miss Italy so much. I am with you as far as the "Sound of Music" is concerned. Sometime we will share that experience. Please know that I continue with you in thought and prayer as you go on to Switzerland. Can't wait to talk with you in person when you return.
    Love,
    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were traveling with me. You would love this place. I am determined to return one day. You'll have to come along. Can we please watch the sound of music when I get home! I would love that. It's such an amazing movie. I love it so much! Can't wait to see you! Miss you!

      Delete
    2. I am sure that can be arranged.

      Delete
  2. Great job girl! I am sorry that it will end so soon, but glad that you will be coming home for a bit. Enjoy the rest of the time and we look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete