Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The past two days have been filled classes, homework and some pretty yucky weather, but Italy is still somehow amazing. Ever since the earthquake we've had rain and thunderstorms so we've been cooped up inside the palazzo, but we've had the absolute best time.
Sunday was Eliza's birthday and our first day of classes so of course that called for a celebration. We spent the morning in class with Dr. Morris learning about the main theories of child development and then called it a day a bit early and I joined Katy on a little excursion to find a birthday cake and flowers for Eliza. We went down to this awesome bakery that was buzzing with people. It was the most interesting experience. I kinda felt like I was in a New York coffee shop during morning rush hour. There were people everywhere and you had to take a ticket number upon entering and wait for them to call you; it was like nothing I had ever seen before. The fun part was Katy and I trying to communicate with the lady to tell her we wanted a birthday cake: "una torta di cioccolato per un compleanno" was our attempt and after five minutes of hand signals we had our chocolate cake and were on our way. Our next stop was the florist where we watched the woman piece a bouquet together piece by piece and make it absolutely perfect! After we acquired our birthday items we were on our way back enjoy another delicious lunch courtesy of Margarita! I seriously could live with her; she's amazing! That night we went out in the pouring rain to a local cafe with glow in the dark stairs to "sip, savor, and socialize" for Eliza's birthday!
Monday was our first day of Italian class! We basically got a crash course introduction to some serious survival Italian. We had basic conversations with each other to teach us the phrases "my name is" "how are you" "what is..." "how much is..." and more. The best part about the whole class is our professor, she's basically the Italian Carrie Bradshaw!! She has the exact same big curly hair, tall and skinny, and has that unique fashion style; it's priceless. Before this trip is over we're going to introduce her to Carrie Bradshaw and Sex in the City!
The rain continued all day long so we spent the afternoon inside doing homework and watching movies that are based in Italy: Letters to Juliet and Under the Tuscan Sun. I mean it doesn't get any better than watching them when you're actually in Italy! We also decided that since we're missing out on the Bachelorette we're going to create our own rendition one night this week which would be absolutely priceless.
Today was our first adventure out into the city for our Italian Arts and Culture Class. We went to the Museo Civico where we admired various works of art depicting Jesus, Mary, the Last Supper and other religious events. What struck me as the most interesting, though, was the paintings of the Annunciation, not because that name is significant to my hometown church and elementary school, but because for the first time in my life I saw a painting that was supposed to be of God. Never before have I seen an artist try to depict what God looks like. It was so intriguing to me, and surprisingly enough, He looked exactly how I picture Him in my mind! For the rest of this afternoon that is basically all I have been able to think about, which is probably a good thing because I'm about to write my first journal entry homework assignment. We've only been here four days and we're already overloaded with homework. Don't these professors know we're in Italy! Guess I better get to the homework grind. Ciao for now!

Margarita's pasta is the best


The birthday girl!

"Sip Savor and Socialize" 

una torta al cioccolato per un compleanno

Winnie and SaraBeth on the glowing stairs 

4 comments:

  1. Sara,
    Would you believe that I watched "Letters to Juliette" on Sunday. I was thinking of you. I had never seen that movie before. How timely.
    Love,
    Mrs. P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how perfect!! I love that movie! It's just as beautiful here as they make it appear in the film. I hope you're doing well. Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Sara, looks like you a living the good life in Italy and I am happy for you. Please do not let the homework and studying spoil your fun, just remember you told me that this would be an exciting and educational trip so work hard and play hard. Love you, proud of you, keep up the good work and keep us informed.
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dad!! I think I'm going to have to find a way to save that comment forever "don't let the homework spoil the fun" haha. I'm spending the afternoon doing homework today so that tomorrow when we venture to Florence I won't be worried about school! I'll skype you guys again soon! Love and miss you!

      Delete